Monday, November 26, 2012

BOOK REVIEW: Eat & Run by Scott Jurek

Eat & Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness
By Scott Jurek
 
I just finished yesterday the book Eat & Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness by Scott Jurek. I loved it! Once I got into the middle part I couldn’t put it down. And once I finished it, I went out to do, of course, a fast 5 miles in the cool Kansas air to let it all sink in.

I highly recommend this book to all my running, marathon, and especially ultramarathon friends. I add this to the list of my favorite ultramarathon autobiographies that I’ve read and among the most informative, reflective, and inspiring (though they are all inspiring).

As with any book, I don’t advocate everything his says, nor do I aspire to be just like Scott Jurek. But I respect the guy and his accomplishments and what he has learned about life and about himself because of and while running, competing and pushing himself.

I also am challenged in new ways about the use of food and how it affects the body. I don’t necessarily want to become a vegan like Scott Jurek, but I do want to take how I eat and what I put into my body at least half as seriously as how I burn it off.