Monday, October 22, 2007

Let's Go Down to the River Jordan!


I AM SO GRATEFUL TO Crossroads Lead Pastor Jeff Mullen for being wiling to baptize me in the cool October waters in the pond behind his house. This baptism comes at a time for me where the symbolism of dying to self and rising up with the same resurrection power that raised Jesus from the dead is particularly appropriate.

I FEEL COMPELLED BY THE LORD to respond in obedience by being baptized. I have studied the Scriptures on the issue and likewise the teachings of the Evangelical Friends Church. I am convinced that as a personalized, subjective response of obedient faith to God, I should be baptized. I am fully convinced of the teachings of Friends of the non-necessity of water baptism for spiritual salvation. I am also convinced that sound Friends distinctives do not imply an absolute prohibition but a call to understand the reality of importance of the things that really matter (an intimate, personal relationship with God, “There is one, even Christ Jesus, who can speak to thy condition”). I believe that such a symbolic act of faith profession is appropriate, certainly biblical, and particularly timely in my spiritual journey.

IT IS MY PRAYER FOR THIS WATER BAPTISM to represent an important milestone (symbolic yet physical, tangible, experiential and wet!) on my spiritual journey of faith to overcome sin and live in the resurrection power of Jesus Christ! Going down in to the water symbolizes my own submission to and willingness to die to myself and to my own desires and dreams and ways of life so as to live fully unto Christ. You can't breathe underwater – thus the baptism is a real symbol of death. Coming up out of the water is a real symbol of life in Jesus' name with Him a Lord! Thanks be to God!
- Adam Monaghan

Colossians 2:12-14
For you were buried with Christ when you were baptized. And with him you were raised to new life because you trusted the mighty power of God, who raised Christ from the dead. You were dead because of your sins and because your sinful nature was not yet cut away. Then God made you alive with Christ, for he forgave all our sins. He canceled the record of the charges against us and took it away by nailing it to the cross.

Titus 3:4-7
But—“When God our Savior revealed his kindness and love, he saved us, not because of the righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He washed away our sins, giving us a new birth and new life through the Holy Spirit. He generously poured out the Spirit upon us through Jesus Christ our Savior. Because of his grace he declared us righteous and gave us confidence that we will inherit eternal life.”