Monday, December 3, 2007

"Maybe it was Memphis"

This past weekend I went to Memphis, TN to run the St. Jude Memphis Marathon http://www.stjudemarathon.org/.
I drove up there on Friday morning, ran the Marathon Saturday morning and drove home Saturday afternoon, making it home by midnight.

I ran another PR (personal record) and finished in a time of 3:40:09, which is over eight minutes faster than my MCM time in D.C. in October. The day was perfect with a sunny 47 degrees start in gloves and a long-sleeved shirt. It quickly warmed up into the 50s by 9am and I wore a short-sleeved shirt the rest of the way. It was mid-60s and a very warm southern sun by finish time. I ran again with a pace team, this time provided by the local Memphis running club. They helped me to maintain even 8:24 minute miles, finishing each mile directly on target. I guess I slowed 9 seconds in the last mile or so. The marathon is always a fun event and a fun day of running - but this time it was tough. It was a fast pace to maintain and felt like "work" the whole way. Sometimes you can get in a zone for 10 or 15 miles and cruise and it seems easy. It was never like that on Saturday. From mile 3 on - it was hard work. But again I am excited about the finish!

In total Marathon finishers, I placed 391/1923. www.stjudemarathon.org/results/2007/Marathon_Top_Down.txt
In age group, Males 20-24, I finished 26 out of 67.
www.stjudemarathon.org/results/2007/STJUDE_MAR07.TXT

Everybody is so consistently friendly and warm in Memphis - not quite like anywhere else I've ever visited - "southern hospitality" I hear? I saw Elvis at least 10 times, at least two of them running the marathon and the rest singing in a band on the side. The marathon ran twice down Beale Street, home of the Memphis Blues, Rock'N Roll and Barbeque and all that stuff that is interesting but I know nothing about.

"I'm goin' to Memphis, mhm
I'm goin' to Memphis, mhm" - Johnny Cash