Monday, June 18, 2012

Lake Perry Rocks 50K

My 70th marathon/ultra-marathon was more eventful than I would have liked and also was a “first” in many ways. It was a 50K at Lake Perry which would make my 3rd 50K there, this time run by the Trail Nerds. It was a nice cool dry morning on a perfect course under nearly perfect conditions in every way.

I picked some of my favorite people to run with, Coleen Voeks and Deb Johnson, and we stuck together pretty much the whole way. We came through the exactly half way mark right at 3 hrs and we all feeling great. I was leading our pack most of the way between miles 15 and 25 and gaining a lot of ground and we were narrowing in on a negative split, sub 6 hour finish. But, that’s not how it went down in the end this time.
At mile 27-ish I rolled my ankle and fell into the shrubs. My foot was flat to the rock and the ankle hit the ground as I fell. The flash of pain was intense and I thought I was going to puke. I got up and tried to walk it off and after 5 minutes or so was back to a slow run, with my confidence coming back, though it still hurt a bit. Then I bit it again, this time much harder and much worse. The pain was just so intense. My face turned white. Deb shared some ibuprophen and the foot started to swell really fast…though I knew not to take my shoe off until after I crossed the finish line.  I got up and hobble step walked and sometimes ran really slowly on the safe flat debris-free areas, though there weren’t very many of those.
I crossed the finish line in 6:12, I believe, which is still a decent time for a 50K, especially with having to nearly crawl the last 4+ miles.
My ankle swelled up to nearly cantaloupe size after the race and stayed that way for a few days and continued to be sore and stiff for 10 days. On the 11th day I ran 2 miles pain free and started back in. 15 days after the sprain I ran a marathon (Andy Payne) pain free for the most part. 18 days after the sprain I hiked Pikes Peak. 5 weeks after the sprain it’s just slightly swollen and just slightly awkwardly stiff but I am still running on it, as long as it doesn’t really hurt too bad. I’m staying off the trails until it’s truly healed, though.