Monday, June 18, 2012

Pikes Peak Summit and Back

On Wednesday, May 30th, Rebecca Angell (Sarah's youngest sister) and I hiked the 13 mile trail from Manitou Springs, CO to the summit of Pikes Peak, a 14,110 foot mountain. We started at 4am with headlamps and summited about 10:30 am. We staggered around at the top and refilled with water, took a few pictures, and then started the long trek down. I found the downhill part much more physically and mentally exhausting, especially on my ankles and knees. The downhill part took over 5 hours and the whole thing took 12 hours, arriving back at the trailhead at 4pm, weary and exhausted, but thrilled to have just completed the 26 mile journey.

For Rebecca, it was her longest mileage covered on foot by far in her life. The following days I could barely walk with my calves especially locked up. I believe it was 5 days before I was able to run again.