Thursday, November 1, 2007

Marathon with Marines


My Mom and I at the bottom of the Lincoln Memorial steps. I think this was about mile 16 or so. Despite the grimmace, I felt fine.
Yes, at last, the finish line!!
I was sure I saw Laura Bush...she does live there you know...but everybody thinks I am crazy.




Last Sunday was the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington DC. My step-sister Alisha, mom, and I all went to Washington for the weekend of site-seeing and, oh yeah, running. The last time I was in the Nation's Capitol was when I was 13. So a lot of it was new to me or at least really fresh. I don't remember loving politics and American History as much at that age, so I wasn't quite as fascinated by everything then.

After arriving Saturday, we went to the Washington Momument, Lincoln Memorial, and walked the Mall Strip, by the Smithsonians and the War Memorials. Sunday afternoon we visited both views of the Whitehouse and a whole bunch of other big important buildings. Monday we visited the Capitol building, the Supreme Court (my favorite!), and some more big important buildings (FBI, Department of Treasury, EPA, Library of Congress, etc. etc.). I think we are all now experts in the Washington DC area subway system, known as the Metro".
Sunday morning I ran the Marine Corps Marathon, which started right next to the Pentagon in Alexandria, Virginia. The temperature was just about perfect for running - right around 52 degrees or so. I was able to start with a short sleeve shirt and never really get cold - other than waiting at the start - but then I was wrapped in a trash bag poncho. Normally, I would have felt really stupid wearing that but when tens of thousands of people all around me were wearing their trash bag ponchos to stay warm too, I didn't even think of it. The mass start began at 8:00 am. We ran through Alexandria and then made our way into DC. A great course map is available on the website. This marathon is nicknamed the "Monument Marathon" for good reasons - it runs right next to most of the major monuments, even getting a quick glimpse of the Whitehouse (which I missed).

I ran a 3:48:19 for my actual start-to-finish time. That's about 10 minutes faster than my last full marathon in Missouri on Labor Day, and certainly my personal best! I was thrilled! I felt great the whole way, never got off my pace at all, about a 8:40/mile pace, and actually got faster throughout the race and sprinted most of the last mile. There were hundreds of US Marines everywhere, handing out water and Gatorade, and also encouraging you into the finish line.

For a more complete summary and report, go to http://www.marinemarathon.com/ and click on the "Finishers Webpages" on the right under the Spotlight. My bib number was 10076 and enter my last name.