Tuesday, November 13, 2007

What does it mean to me to be a part of the Evangelical Friends Church?

I love our rich heritage and history, going all the way back to the radical life of our founder, George Fox. I love the controversial stands we've taken, rocking the cultural boat throughout the last couple centuries. I love the attitude of theologically majoring on the majors and trying not to get bogged down by the rest. But what does it mean to me today to be a part of the Evangelical Friends Church?

I am reminded of the two core values we affirmed at last year's ('06) Friends Ministry Conference (formerly known as Yearly Meeting) in Mid America. The message that we have available for the world is that 1. You can have a direct, personal relationship with God and 2. Every Christian is a minister!

If we can learn to engage this message with a "go and tell" approach instead of the traditional "come and see" approach, watch out!!

- Adam Monaghan