Monday, February 11, 2008

More Inspiration

Some quotes and stories from David J. McGillivrary, "The Last Pick: The Boston Marathon Race Director's Road to Success". McGillivray has done all kinds of fun and crazy things like running across the USA when he was in his early 20s. (I'm definitely not getting any ideas!)

“Never let those who say it can’t be done get in the way of those who are doing it. Though not everything is possible, there’s only one way to find out what is.”

“The marathon is an ideal metaphor for my life. It’s challenging and difficult, but if you work hard and you’re prepared, then it’s manageable."

This dude not only ran for 24 hours straight but once swam for 24 hours straight as well. He tells the story: “After every 50 minutes in the water, I’d get out and wolf down 10 or so of my mom’s chocolate-chip cookies…then I’d jump back in…I had underwater speakers put in at both ends of the lap lane, and the music saved me…It was 1,884 laps. Each lap was 25 yards. My total distance was nearly 27 miles—basically, I has swum a marathon…As I’m running the marathon course, people will often say, ‘I don’t know how you’ve done this so many times.’ Sometimes I think to myself, ‘You think running is hard? Try swimming it!’ ”

Something important that some other guy learned from Dave McGillivray: “He’s taught me that within the context of your plan, just modify, but still do something; still get out there…His message is that what you’re doing is not only good for yourself but for others as well.”

“To me, old age is always 15 years older than I am.”