Monday, June 23, 2008

"The Shack"

I also finished "The Shack" on Saturday, amazed by such a good book, maybe the best book of it's kind that I've read since McLaren's "A New Kind of Christian" trilogy. The author is William P. Young, and the work of fiction is from the Pacific Northwest. The book comes with my highest recommendations. http://www.theshackbook.com/

Some of my favorite quotes:

"I suppose that since most of our hurts come through relationships so will our healing, and I know that grace rarely makes sense for those looking in from the outside." p11

"Jesus?" he whispered as his voice choked. "I feel so lost."A hand reached out and squeezed his, and didn't let go. "I know, Mack. But it's not true. I am with you and I'm not lost. I'm sorry it feels that way, but hear me clearly. You are not lost." p114

"Does that mean," asked Mack, "that all roads will lead to you?""Not at all," smiled Jesus as he reached for the door handle to the shop. "Most roads don't lead anywhere. What it does mean is that I will travel any road to find you." p182

"...You asked me what Jesus accomplished on the cross; so now listen to me carefully: through his death and resurrection, I am now fully reconciled to the world."
"The whole world? You mean that who believe in you, right?"
"The whole world, Mack. All I am telling you is that reconciliation is a two way street, and I have done my part, totally, completely, finally. It is not the nature of love to force a relationship but it is the nature of love to open the way." p192