Saturday, April 11, 2009

A Thousand Splended Suns (Book Review)


This morning I just finished my second Khaled Hosseini novel, "A Thousand Splendid Suns". There is no adequate summary or commentary to describe the excellence of the novel and the incredibility of the story. Hosseini's first novel, "The Kite Runner", was excellent but I think this was is even more gripping and powerful. The story brings to light the history of about the last three decades of Afghanistani history, up to almost present times. This novel is painful to read at times and even overwhelming. I believe that the best part is that there is an excellent redemptive element in two of the main characters, Mariam and Laila. Hosseini has quickly become one of my favorite authors.

Also recommended is "The Kite Runner" which I read last year I think.