Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Born Again

Born Again: What Really Happened to the White House Hatchet Man
By Charles W. Colson

I’ve always been interested in politics, but I found myself mostly ignorant on the volatility of the 70s in Washington D.C., and especially fascinated yet ignorant on what happened with “Watergate”. This book written by Colson is a great read to learn about the above and yet again, the mighty to save power of God to redeem, restore, and transform a life!

[Colson as he was first beginning his journey to faith:]
And then I prayed my first real prayer. “God, I don’t know how to find You, but I’m going to try! I’m not much the way I am now, but somehow I want to give myself to You.” I didn’t know how to say more, so I repeated over and over the words: Take me. (p117)

How fortunate it is that God does not allow us to see into the future. (p130)

[CBS News Transcript of how the news got out of Colson’s newfound faith:]
RATHER: Jerry, what is the President doing continuing to see Charles Colson?
WARREN: I don’t think he is.
RATHER: What was Mr. Colson doing at the White House today?
WARREN: (pause) Well… (pause) he was attending a meeting in the dining room downstairs which is held every other Thursday. A group of White House staff members get together for a prayer breakfast and Mr. Colson was attending that…
UNIDENTIFIED VOICE: Prayer!
ANOTHER UNIDENTIFIED VOICE: Is he going to be the next preacher?
Several minutes of the proceedings here became unintelligible because of the laughter which apparently rocked the room…
RATHER: I would like an answer.
WARREN: That is the answer.
RATHER: That he was attending a prayer breakfast?
(p163-164)